If you want to make changes to your router, you need to know your routerâ€™s IP address. Perhaps you want to change the network name, create a new WiFi password, or use a different channel to boost your internet speed. These functions are accessible through your routerâ€™s log-on page, but you can only get there if you know how to find your routerâ€™s IP address.
What is an IP Address?
Jul 03, 2017 Find Your Router’s IP Address on the iPhone and iPad On an iPhone or iPad, just head to Settings Wi-Fi, and then tap the name of your Wi-Fi network. You’ll see the router’s IP address listed as “Router”. Find Your Router’s IP Address in Android. When your computer connects to your router, it must know the IP address of the router, or it can’t connect. Since it must know the IP address of the router, you can easily retrieve it using a simple DOS command called ipconfig. To retrieve the IP address of your router, use the following steps: Click Start-Run to open a Run dialog box. Mar 18, 2021 Step 1: Head online and navigate to your Google Fiber account and sign in. Step 2: Once logged in, look at the top-left corner of the webpage and select Network (in some formats, you’ll need to. Step 3: In the new section, you will see a Devices menu on the left with all the devices connected to. Under the line that says IPv4 Address, it should have a few numbers – likely starting with a 192.168, if your home network is set up like most routers’ defaults. Use the Gateway. Mar 16, 2019 Find Your IP Address From the Command Line Windows users can use a DNS request within Command Prompt to locate their public IP address. Just open Command Prompt and execute this command: nslookup myip.opendns.com.
An Internet Protocol (IP) address isa unique string of numbers that identifies the devices in a network. Itâ€™s kindof like a mailing address that lets the mailman will know exactly where to dropoff your packages.
IP addresses can be public orprivate. A public IP address is assigned to you by your Internet ServiceProvider (ISP), such as AT&T or Comcast. However, a private IP address iswhat allows all your devices to communicate with each other over your privatenetwork. In order to be connected to the outside world, devices with a privateIP address need to connect to a public IP address, usually through a modem.
IP addresses can also be static or dynamic. A static IP address will not change over time, while a dynamic IP address does change. In most cases, your router will take a (mostly) static public IP address from your modem and transform it into a dynamic private IP address. This allows you to buy new devices and connect them to your WiFi without having to set a new IP address for every device.
How to Find Your Routerâ€™s IP Address on Windows
If youâ€™re using Windows, you canfind your routerâ€™s IP address by using the Command Prompt app or the ControlPanel. From the Command Prompt app, type ipconfig, hit Enter, and yoursystem will bring up your default gateway or IP address. In Control Panel, goto Network and internet > View network status and tasks > Ethernet >Details. Here are the steps for each method.
How to Find Router IP Address with Command Prompt
- Click the Windows search bar, and type Command Prompt in the search box.
- Then press Enter. You can also double click on the Command Prompt app that appears in the search results.
- Type ipconfig in the command line and press Enter.
- You will see your routerâ€™s IP address next to the Default Gateway.
How to Find Router IP Address with the Control Panel
Ifyou prefer to use the Control Panel, hereâ€™s how to find your routerâ€™s IPaddress:
- Open the Windows search bar and type Control Panel in the search box.
- Hit Enter. You can also double click on the Control Panel app.
- Under Network and Internet, click on View network status and tasks.
- Then click on the link for Connection: WiFi. If you are connecting directly to your router with an Ethernet cable, this might say Connection: Ethernet instead.
- Then click on Details in the pop-up box.
- Your routerâ€™s IP address will be next to IPv4 Default Gateway.
How to Find Your Routerâ€™s IP Address on a Mac
You can find your routerâ€™s IPaddress on a Mac in two ways. First, you can open System Preferences, click onNetwork, and then see the connection details on the Ethernet or WiFi panel. Or,you can launch the Terminal app, type netstat -nr grep default, hitEnter, and look at the default IP address. Just follow these steps below.
How to Find Router IP Address with System Preferences
- Go to System Preferences. You can access this by clicking on the Apple logo in the top left corner of your screen and clicking System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Network.
- Select WiFi in the left panel. If you are connected through Ethernet, your router IP address will be displayed along with other network information when you select the Ethernet from the left-hand side of the panel.
- Then click on Advanced.
- Click on the TCP/IP tab in the top panel.
- You will find your routerâ€™s IP address next to Router.
How to Find Router IP Address with the Terminal App
- Open the Terminal app. You can find this by opening your Applications folder and double-clicking Utilities.
- Then type netstat -nr grep default, and press Enter.
- Your routerâ€™s IP address will be indicated after the line which says â€œdefault.â€
How to Sign In To Your Router
- Open any web browser. You can use Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or any other web browser.
- Type your routerâ€™s default IP address into the search bar, and press Enter.
Note: You might be prompted that the webpage you are trying to view is not secure. Make sure that you have the correct address typed in, then click on the option to proceed even if itâ€™s unsafe.
- Log in by typing your routerâ€™s user name and password.
Note: This information can be usually found in your routerâ€™s manual. Default log-in credentials per router brand vary.
If you are still having problems figuring out how to log in to your router, be sure to check out our guide on how to reset a router.
Was this article helpful?
The Router which creates your Home WiFi Network is identified by its own unique IP Address. You will find below the steps to Find Router IP Address in Windows 10.
Find Router IP Address on Windows Computer
In a typical Home Network, the Internet Service Provider brings internet to Modem, which passes it to the Router for distribution to computers, mobile phones, Chromecast and others connected devices.
As mentioned above, the Router has its own unique IP Address and you need to know this IP Address in order to Login to the Router.
In general, people want to Login to Router to update Router Software, Change Security Settings, Setup Parental controls and Setup IP Address Filtering.
1. Find Default Router IP Address
Router manufacturers like D-link and LinkSys use 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 as the Default Router IP Address and make this information available on their websites.
The Default Router IP Address should also be available in the Instruction Manual that came with your Router.
High Fashion wall art products, available on a range of materials, with framed and unframed options. Wall art in a wide variety of ready-to-hang prints for your home, office, or dorm. Gallery quality framed photographic prints, metal prints, canvas prints, art prints, and art. High fashion home wall art. Complete your room's look with one of High Fashion Home's unique and fashionable wall canvas art prints. Find the perfect artwork for you today!
You should also find the Default Router IP Address printed on a sticker/label attached to the bottom of the Router.
If the Default Router IP Address has been changed by your ISP (Internet Service Provider), you will have to find it on your computer using the next method as provided below.
2. Find Router IP Address in Windows 10
If you are using a Windows Laptop or Desktop computer, you can follow the steps below to find Router IP address in Windows 10.
1. Go to Settings > Network and Internet > click on Status in the left pane. In the right-pane, scroll down and click on View Your Network Properties link.
2. On the next screen, scroll down to details of your active network (Ethernet or Wireless) and you will see the IP Address of your Router listed next to “Default gateway:”.
Once you know the Router IP Address, you will be able to Login to your Router by typing the Router IP address in Chrome or any other web browser.
My Router Login
3. Find Router IP Address on Mac
How To Find My Xfinity Router Ip Address
If you are using a MacBook, Mac Mini or iMac, you can follow the steps to find Router IP Address as provided in this guide: How to Find Router IP Address on Mac.