Mar 28, 2021 You should see your IP address in the top right. Step 2: Change your IP address Select the Advanced button in the bottom right, then select the TCP/IP tab at the top of the new window. Dec 23, 2020 If so, changing your public IP address is a good choice because it can help protect your identity. To change your public IP address, a simple solution is to use a proxy server or a VPN. If you don’t have any proxy server, then we recommend that you use a VPN. To change the computer’s IP address in Windows, you’ll need to open the “Network Connections” window. Hit Windows+R, type “ncpa.cpl” into the Run box, and then hit Enter. In the “Network Connections” window, right-click the adapter for which you want to set a static IP address, and then select the “Properties” command.
See the “Another device is using your IP address” message on your Mac? Or you want a new online identity from an IP standpoint to protect your privacy when surfing the Internet? Or you just need to access a online service that is currently unvailable in your country or region? Whatever the reason may be, you want to know how to change IP address on your Mac. If it’s the case, this article is for you!
In this article, you’ll learn:
- What is an IP address
- How to find the current IP address on your Mac
- How to change the IP address of your Mac
What is an IP address
An Internet Protocol (IP) address is the unique number assigned to a network device (e.g. a computer or a smartphone, etc.) connected to a computer network that uses the Internet Protocol for communication. It’s like an identity on the Internet. The IP address identifies each device across the Internet or a network.
Most IP addresses are IPv4 addresses, which looks like a series of numbers separated by three periods. If you see an IP address that contains a longer series of numbers and letter, and it’s divided by seven columns, it’s a different type of IP address called IPv6.
Here are some examples of IPv4 and IPv6 address:
Private IP address & public address
IP addresses are divided into public IP addresses and private IP addresses.
The private IP address is used to communitcate within the same (local) network. In constrast, the public IP address is used to communicate outside the local network. In other words, the public IP address is global.
If all of your devices are connected to the same wireless router in your home, they will share the same public IP address when they go online. However, their private IP addresses are slightly different, and are usually automatically assigned by your wireless router when they connect to your Home’s Wi-Fi.
Briefly speaking, The public IP address is basically provided by your ISP (Internet Serivce Provider), while the private IP address for each device in the same network is often assigned by a router. And the range of the private IP addresses sharing the same public IP address is divided by the subnet mask.
Private IP address range
According to standards set forth in Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) document RFC-1918, the Internet Assigned Numbers Autority (IANA) has reserved the following IPv4 address ranges for private internets, so they are not publicly routable on the global Internet:
How to find the current IP address on your Mac
To view the current IP address of your Mac, you can either go to System Preferences or open the Terminal app. And both methods are quite simple.
To find the current IP address of your Mac via System Preferences:
- On your Mac, click Apple menu and select Syetem Preferences….
- Click Network.
- Select the network connection you want to view (such as Ethernet or Wi-Fi), then you can view the IP address of that network connection on the right.
To find the current IP address of your Mac through the Terminal app:
If you prefer to use the Ternimal app, follow the steps below to find the current IP address of your Mac:
- On your keyboard, press the Command key and Space to invoke Spotlight Search (if you’re connecting a PC keyboard to your Mac, use the keyboard combination the Windows logo key – Space instead), then type terminal and press Enter to open the Terminal app.
- To show the current IP address on a Ethernet connection, use the command
ipconfig getifaddr en0.
- If you want to show the IP address on a Wi-Fi connection, use the command
ipconfig getifaddr en1.
How to change the IP address of your Mac
Depending on the goal you want to achieve, you can change either the private address or the public IP address of your Mac.
In short, changing the private IP address of your Mac only changes the its IP address on your home network. However, after changing the public IP address of your Mac, you let others on the Internet see a different IP address on your Mac, which means you hide the original public IP address from others.
So, there are generally two Methods for you to try:
Method 1: Using DHCP
If you just need to change the privata IP address of your Mac on your home / local network only, for example, you need to give your Mac a new local IP address in order to fix the IP conflict issue on your home network, you can use DHCP in System Preferences.
With DHCP on your home network, normally you don’t have to manually configure the IP address of your devices on your home network, because DHCP has automated the process of configuring devices on IP network, so you can avoid the “Another device is using your IP address” message (IP conflict).
To use DHCP on your Mac, follow the steps below:
- On your Mac, go to System Preferences > Nework.
- Select the network connection you want to use DPCH.
- For Ethernet connection, click the Configure IPv4 pop-up menu, choose Using DHCP and click Apply.
- For Wi-Fi connection, click Wi-Fi on the left, then click Advanced….
- Navigate to the TCP/IP tab, click the Configure IPv4 pop-up menu, choose Using DHCP and click OK and Apply.
Now, you’ve changed the private IP address of your Mac on your local network!
Mehtod 2: Using a proxy server or a VPN
Some websites and online services such as games, music services or video services will block devices that have IP addresses from certain regions. If you want to access those region-blocked services, you have to change your public IP address to the one that appears to be from another region. After changing your IP address, you’re wearing a disguise when visiting those region-blocked services, and the system would grant you access.
You may also want to protect your online privacy when surfing the Internet. If so, changing your public IP address is a good choice because it can help protect your identity.
To change your public IP address, a simple solution is to use a proxy server or a VPN. If you don’t have any proxy server, then we recommend that you use a VPN.
A VPN, or a virtual private network, extends a private network across a public network, which enables you to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if your devices were directly connected to the private netwrok. VPN services are widely used to establish encrypted and secure netowork connections. With VPN, you can
- Encrypt your online data
- Secure your persional infoamtion when using public Wi-Fi
- Avoid ISP tracking
- Unblock geo-restricted websites and online services
Hopefully, after reading this article, you’ve learned how to change the IP address on your Mac! If you have any questions or suggestions on this topic, feel free to leave us a comment below. Thanks for reading!
You may also like…
IP (Internet Protocol) Address is the unique numerical label allotted to each device which uses the internet and connected to computer network. It is a term, a usual internet user would not even think about, but it is an important technology which mainly serves two foremost functions of network interface identification and location addressing.
Changing Your Ip Address In Windows 7
Why to Change IP Address
There are several reasons why one would want to change IP Address, such as when you’re banned by IP based sites, or when you want to register more than one account on a particular site. The other perk of changing IP address is that you can change or hide your identity and can get access to all the IP based restricted data.
There are mainly two IP types, Public IP and Private IP. Public IP is an address assigned by the Internet Service Provider (ISP) to identify that network which you can find by searching what’s my public IP on Google too. It is unique globally. Whereas Private IP is an address within this macro network web, allotted to a particular device on that network.
It is fun and safe under some circumstances to change the IP address of your Windows computer, but you should still be cautious of online virus, which could cause loss of money and important files.
There are a few free antivirus tools for Windows computer. However, in case accidents happened and you have lost precious photos or documents, do remember to try a data recovery software to retrieve files lost due virus.
Part 1. How to Change Public IP Address on Windows 10/8/7
As mentioned above, the Public IP is an address which is given by the service provider, who mostly assign dynamic IP Address and changes from time to time. Therefore, we can change public IP address easily by given ways.
- By unplugging your WiFi Router and modem.
- By disconnecting computer’s WiFi connection
- By contacting ISP. Sometimes the ISP provides a static IP, in which case it can be changed by its technical support. Mostly it can be changed for once.
- By using Proxy Network: Using a Proxy or VPN service will display a different IP Address. It will be provided by VPN service provider. You may need to pay for the service.
Part 2. How to Change Private IP on Windows 10/8/7
As a matter of fact, most people are looking for this part. However, firstly, you should know:
Changing Your Ip Address Windows 7
How to Find/Refresh/Renew IP Address in Windows
- Step 1. Press Windows + X keys together and open Windows PowerShell (or Command Prompt).
- Step 2. Type ipconfig and hit Enter, then the information will be displayed in the window.
- Step 3. Type ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew to refresh or renew IP Address.
How to Manually Change IP Address in Windows
Now if you want to set or change static IP manually. The step by step guidance is given below.
Note: the instruction is based on Windows 10, but the operation should be similar on earlier version Windows OS.
- Step 1. Click Start menu, then type Control Panel and click the option on the result.
- Step 2. Open Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
- Step 3. On the left pane of the new window, click Change adapter settings.
- Step 4. You will be displayed with Network Connections of the PC.
Important note: Right click on “Ethernet” or “Local Area Connection” if you want to change IP of any physical connection. And right click on “WLAN” in case you wish to change IP of any wireless connections.
- Step 5. Choose Properties after right clicking on the network name.
- Step 6. Select the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then click Properties.
- Step 7. Obtain an IP Address automatically should be selected by default, but please choose the Use the Following IP Address.
- Step 8. Now put your desired IP Address according to your wish its correct format. Change Subnet mask and default gateway if you want to.
- Step 9. Check the box Validate settings upon exit and click OK to save the settings.
If you are using more than one network on your PC, enter the details like subnet mask, default gateway, preferred DNS server, and alternate DNS server.
If you wish to reverse the operation, then minimize the “Network Connections” window, then repeat the steps above, but in step 8, choose “Obtain an IP address automatically” to access the Internet again.
We know that changing an IP Address is an unpleasant and prolonged experience, but if you know how it can help you to access some restricted data and some IP based ban sites, you would definitely find this above article helpful. Give your valuable feedback in the comment section and still, you have some queries or need feel free approach.